Thai shellfish broth
- 3 lemon grass stalks
- 8 prawns, deveined and shelled (reserve the heads and shells)
- 6 lime leaves
- 200g baby Rosa tomatoes, halved
- 300g small mushrooms (shimeji, enoki or baby button)
- 12 mussels on the half-shell
- 5 spring onions, finely sliced
- juice of 2 limes
- juice of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 45ml (3 tbsp) fish sauce
- 125ml (½ cup) fresh coriander
Cut the lemon grass into 2cm pieces and pound flat, using a rolling pin.
Bring 1 litre of water to the boil and add the white part of the lemon grass together with the prawn heads and skins. Boil for 1 minute and discard the solids, reserving the liquid and straining it.
Return the liquid to the pot and add the green lemon grass, lime leaves, tomatoes and mushrooms. Return to the boil for 3 minutes.
Add the prawns and mussels. As soon as the prawns turn pink, add the remaining ingredients. Stir and serve immediately.