Recipe and styling by Claire Ferrandi
Assisted by Nomvuselelo Mncube
Photograph by Dylan Swart
Tomato and herb fritters served with tzatziki
- 120g cake flour
- 15ml (1 tbsp) cornflour
- 375ml (1½ cup) soda water, chilled
- small handful fresh oregano and parsley leaves, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 350g exotic tomatoes, halved
- 250g Greek yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- juice of ½ lemon
- ½ large cucumber, finely grated and excess water squeezed out
- fresh herbs, to garnish
- lemon wedges, to serve
For the fritters, combine the cake flour and cornflour in a medium bowl. Add the soda water, herbs and seasoning and gently combine the mixture using a fork – some lumps should remain.
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan until hot. Just before deep-frying, dip each piece of tomato into the batter and fry in batches until golden brown, 1 – 2 minutes. Drain on paper towel.
For the tzatziki, combine all of the ingredients and season well to taste.
Serve the fritters garnished with fresh herbs. Add a side of tzatziki for dipping and lemon wedges for squeezing.