The perfect winter indulgence…
Tomato soup with cheesy toasted sandwich dippers
- 10 – 12 ripe tomatoes, chopped evenly
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1 fresh chilli, chopped
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 250ml (1 cup) vegetable stock
- 125ml (½ cup) fresh cream, warmed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- fresh basil leaves, to serve
- 8 slices thickly cut white bread
- butter, to spread
- mustard and mayonnaise, to spread (we used Maille Dijonnaise)
- 130g Monterey Jack cheese, sliced (find at woolworths.co.za)
- 130g smoked Cheddar cheese, sliced
- 50g feta cheese, crumbled
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
For the tomato soup, combine the tomatoes, garlic, shallots, chilli, mixed herbs and cayenne pepper in a baking tray, then roast for 30 – 40 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from oven, transfer to a pot and add the balsamic vinegar, vegetable stock and fresh cream. Blitz the mixture with a stick blender. Season, to taste, and keep warm.
To make the sandwiches, butter each slice of bread, then spread with the mustard and mayo/Dijonnaise. Arrange the three cheeses equally on 4 slices of bread, then top with the remaining 4 slices to make 4 sandwiches.
Toast the sandwiches in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat, 5 – 10 minutes per side, until the cheese melts and the bread is golden brown.
Serve the tomato soup with the cheesy toasted sandwich dippers alongside.