And now you know what the perfect dessert looks like!
Recipe and styling by Dashania Murugas and Bianca Delides
Photograph by Dylan Swart
Vegan meringues with berry sorbet and plums
- 90ml chickpea brine (aquafaba)
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 100g castor sugar/golden castor sugar (find at faithful-to-nature.co.za)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Orley Whip Dessert Topping, whipped to soft peaks 150g pomegranate rubies
- 2 plums, cut in halves/quarters and stones removed
- handful pistachios, lightly toasted and roughly chopped
- store-bought berry sorbet, to serve
Preheat the oven to 120°C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper. Set aside until needed.
Place the chickpea brine in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Add the cream of tartar and beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Increase the speed and beat on high until stiff peaks form, 5 – 10 minutes.
Add the castor sugar 1 tablespoonful at a time, beating well between each addition. Fold in the vanilla extract.
Spoon dollops of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, then bake in the preheated oven until crisp, about 45 minutes. Switch the oven off and allow the meringue to dry out in the oven, with the oven door closed, about 1 hour.
Serve the vegan meringues topped with the Orley Whip Dessert Topping, pomegranate rubies, plums, pistachios and scoops of the berry sorbet.