Vegan nachos? You read that right! Make it this week.
Recipe and styling by Nomvuselelo Mncube
Photograph by Dylan Swart
Vegan nachos with bean-and-avocado salsa
- 500g pumpkin, cubed
- 1 white onion, peeled and diced
- 4g (1 tsp) garlic powder
- 6g (2 tsp) cumin seeds
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 sweetcorn, chargrilled and kernels reserved
- 1 x 400g tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and cubed
- 1 small red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 avocados, cubed
- 2 handfuls fresh coriander, chopped + extra, to garnish
- pinch dried chilli flakes + extra, to garnish
- 250g corn nacho chips (find at azteca.co.za)
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the pumpkin cubes and diced white onion in a large baking tray. Sprinkle with the garlic powder and cumin seeds, and drizzle with the olive oil. Roast in the preheated oven, turning after 10 minutes. Return to oven and roast until the vegetables are cooked, about 5 – 10 minutes.
Mix the remaining ingredients, except for the nacho chips, together in a large bowl. Add the roasted vegetables and mix until well combined. Set aside.
Place the nacho chips on a large serving platter. Spoon the mixture over the chips and garnish with the fresh coriander and dried chilli flakes.