Recipe by Thuli Martins
Warm duck breast salad with spiced pomegranate glaze
- Spiced pomegranate glaze
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) Robertsons Nutmeg
- 5ml (1 tsp) Robertsons Cinnamon
- 15ml (1 tbsp) tomato paste
- 30ml (2 tbsp) pomegranate molasses (available at good delis)
- 250ml (1 cup) pomegranate juice
- 55g brown sugar
- 400ml chicken stock
- 4 duck breasts, skin on and scored with a sharp knife
- black salt flakes, to taste + extra, to serve
- 250g (2 balls) buffalo mozzarella, drained well
- 3 mandarins, cut into wedges and slightly chargrilled (see cook’s tip)
- 2 mandarins, peeled and segmented
- 50g pomegranate rubies
- 1 fresh butter lettuce, washed and leaves gently pulled apart or 1 pillow
- pack butter lettuce leaves
To make the glaze, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and fry the onion, about 5 minutes, while stirring.
Add the Robertsons Nutmeg, Robertsons Cinnamon and the tomato paste, and sauté, about 2 minutes.
Add pomegranate molasses, juice, sugar and stock. Simmer, about 30 minutes, until reduced, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat and leave to cool in pan. Blend in a food processor until desired consistency is reached.
For the duck, place a separate non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Season the duck with salt and fry, skinside down, about 5 minutes. Turn over onto meat side and fry, 4 – 5 minutes. Remove from heat and coat with the glaze. Rest for 5 minutes and cut into desired slices while warm.
To serve, arrange slices of duck on a platter or individual plates and scatter with torn buffalo mozzarella pieces and the remaining salad ingredients.
To slightly chargrill the mandarin wedges, brush them with 90g muscovado sugar and sear in a non-stick pan over mediumhigh heat, about 3 minutes on each side, until you achieve a lovely charred effect.