TO DRINK: Graham Beck Blanc de Blanc, a bubbly made from Chardonnay grapes.
Waterblommetjie, Cheddar and chive fritters with chilli yoghurt
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 400g fresh waterblommetjies
- 150g cake flour
- 15ml (1 tbsp) baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 45ml (3 tbsp) fresh chives, snipped
- 125ml (½ cup) mature Cheddar, grated
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- butter, for frying
- CHILLI YOGHURT
- dried chilli flakes, to taste
- 500ml (2 cups) Greek-style yoghurt
- sweet chilli sauce, to serve
- olive/avocado oil, to serve
- fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped, to serve
For the fritters, bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the lemon juice and gently boil the waterblommetjies until tender. This will take between 20 and 40 minutes, depending on size and toughness. Chop the cooked waterblommetjies into bitesized chunks.
In a large bowl, lightly whisk together the flour, baking powder, eggs, milk, chives, Cheddar and salt to form a batter. Stir in the waterblommetjies.
Heat a heavy-based pan and add a knob of butter. Add spoonfuls of batter to form fritters and fry until golden on both sides.
For the yoghurt, fold the chilli flakes into the yoghurt. Top with a splash of sweet chilli sauce and a drizzle of oil.
Serve the fritters warm with the yoghurt and a scattering of parsley. You can also make small ones as canapés.