We’ve reworked traditional bredie to make it even more flavourful. Adding biltong instead of stewing meat makes a delicious variation on an old classic. Waterblommetjie, mushroom and biltong bredie is sure to become a staple at your dinner table.
Waterblommetjie, mushroom and biltong bredie
- 30ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 500ml (2 cups) good-quality vegetable or beef stock
- 125ml (½ cup) white wine
- 500g fresh waterblommetjies, rinsed and toughest leaves removed
- 400g baby potatoes
- 500ml (2 cups) brown mushrooms
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 250ml (1 cup) biltong, sliced
Heat the butter in a heavy-based pan and gently fry the garlic and onion for a few minutes.
Add the stock and wine and bring to the boil. Add the waterblommetjies and cook for 30 minutes, then add the potatoes and cook for another 10 minutes. Lastly add the mushrooms and cook for a further 10 minutes. Season and add the lemon juice.
Sprinkle over the biltong just before serving. Serve with rice and chopped fresh parsley.
Made this waterblommetjie, mushroom and biltong bredie recipe? Tag us @foodandhomesa #CookingWithFH on Instagram!
ALSO SEE: Tomato bredie