Before the trout season comes to a close at the end of May, rustle up this quick and easy recipe – perfect for busy cooks on the fly.
Whole roast trout stuffed with lemon, spring onion and herbs
- a handful of fresh dill, finely chopped
- a handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- a handful of fresh thyme, finely chopped, plus extra to garnish
- a bunch of spring onions, finely sliced
- olive oil, for drizzling, plus extra for serving
- 1 whole trout (about 1,4kg)
- 2 lemons, sliced
- lemon wedges, to serve
Preheat the oven to 230°C.
Combine the herbs and spring onions with a drizzle of olive oil in a bowl. Stuff the belly of the trout with the herbs and a few lemon slices. Cover the head and tail of the trout with oiled foil to prevent charring. Roast for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
Place the trout on a platter and drizzle with olive oil. Garnish with lemon wedges and the extra thyme.