Roasted beetroot with crispy bacon and rocket aioli
- 8 large SPAR Freshline Beetroot, peeled and cut into 6 pieces
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fennel seeds
- 45ml (3 tbsp) SPAR Extra Virgin Italian Olive Oil
- SPAR Iodated Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 200g SPAR Streaky Bacon
- 100g SPAR Walnuts
- 15ml (1 tbsp) SPAR Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 large SPAR Egg yolks
- 375ml (1½ cups) SPAR Extra Virgin Italian Olive Oil
- juice of 1 small lemon
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 50g SPAR Roasted & Salted Almonds
- 200g SPAR Freshline
- Rocket Leaves
- 200g SPAR Freshline Rocket leaves, to serve fennel sprigs, to garnish
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the beetroot pieces in a mixing bowl, add the fennel seeds and 45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil, and season to taste. Toss to combine well. Transfer to a roasting tin and roast in the oven, turning the beetroot once, until tender and dark on the edges, about 40 – 45 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
For the aïoli, add the egg yolks to a food processor and blitz until thick and creamy. Slowly add the 375ml (1½ cups) olive oil and lemon juice until the mixture is thick and glossy. Add more oil, if needed.
Add the peeled garlic cloves, the almonds and rocket leaves, and continue to blitz until finely chopped. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
Cook the bacon in a frying pan until crispy. Remove, add the walnuts to the same pan and stir over low heat, about 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and mix through the beetroot and balsamic vinegar.
To serve, arrange the beetroot salad on a platter with the crispy fried bacon, the rocket and fennel sprigs. Place the rocket aïoli in avbowl alongside, with a couple of pieces of bacon dipped into it, if desired.
Win a R1,000 SPAR voucher!
Tell us which SPAR ingredient from these recipes is the star of your meals, and you could win a R1 000 SPAR voucher.