A delicious meat-free curry, inspired by the flavours of Durban.
Cauliflower and potato curry with peasPrint Recipe
- 1 fresh cauliflower, cut into medium-size florets
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 80ml olive/sunflower oil
- 1,25ml (¼ tsp) cumin seeds
- 1,25ml (¼ tsp) ground cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 10ml (2 tsp) Osman’s Taj Mahal Curry Powder (medium)
- 1,25ml (¼ tsp) turmeric
- 1 stalk fresh curry leaves
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 500g green peas (fresh or frozen)
- salt, to taste
- few springs fresh coriander
- roti, to serve
Clean the cauliflower and set aside with the cubed potatoes.
Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the cumin, cardamom, bay leaf, curry powder, turmeric and curry leaves and stir. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Add the cauliflower and potatoes. Add fresh peas at this stage. If using frozen peas, hold back until a little later or they will be mushy. Add some salt to taste and gently mix. Add 60ml (¼ cup) water and allow the curry to cook over gentle heat until the cauliflower and potatoes are cooked through, 15 – 20 minutes. If using frozen peas, add them 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time to infuse the curry flavours.
Once the potatoes are soft and the cauliflower is cooked, remove from heat and add the chopped fresh coriander. Enjoy with roti.