Recipe and styling by Sarah Dall
Photograph by Henk Hattingh
Cauliflower and roasted garlic soup
- 2 whole butternuts, halved and seeded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 15g butter
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cauliflower head, cut into florets + extra, roasted, to garnish
- 300ml fresh cream
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 3 garlic cloves, roasted for 15 minutes at 180°C and peeled
- chives, chopped, to garnish
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the butternut halves on a roasting tray, drizzle with the olive oil and season to taste. Roast in the oven until cooked through, 45 minutes.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and sauté until soft. Add the cauliflower florets, cream, stock and garlic cloves and simmer until the cauliflower is soft and cooked through, 10 – 15 minutes. Place the mixture in a blender and blitz until smooth. Season to taste and pour the warm soup into the prepared butternut halves. Serve garnished with roasted cauliflower florets and chopped chives.