Yes, there is a technique for boiling the perfect egg!
Here’s how to boil an egg:
Use eggs at room temperature.
Bring the water to a boil, then simmer and slip the eggs into the water. Use this cooking guide (using large eggs) for perfect results:
- Soft eggs: cook for 3 – 4 minutes
- Soft-yolk eggs: cook for 5 – 6 minutes
- Hard-boiled eggs: cook for 8 – 10 minutes
To have the yolk perfectly centred, add the egg to the simmering water while stirring to create a whirlpool. Continue to stir for about a minute while cooking.
Tips for the perfect boiled egg
- When using eggs straight out of the fridge, soak them in cold water first for a couple of minutes, as cold eggs will crack when slipped into hot water.
- Eggs can be added to cold water as well, but timing is more accurate when they are added to steadily simmering or gently boiling water.
- Start timing cooking when the egg is slipped into the simmering water.
- Overcooked eggs have a grey line around the yolk. To stop the grey line from forming, quickly place the eggs in cold water and peel.
Delicious ideas with boiled eggs
- For a healthy lunch, mash hard-boiled eggs and mix with chunky cottage cheese and chives. Spread on rye toast, season and top with fresh sprouts and watercress.
- Mash cooked pork sausage meat and mix with scrambled eggs. Add some grated mozzarella and serve on toasted seed loaf topped with fresh chives.