Simple tips for smart food…
Meringues are easy to make. All you need is patience, time and the essential tips. Preheat the oven to 100°C. Beat 3 egg whites in a glass bowl until very stiff and glossy. Beat in 100g castor sugar and 15ml cornflour, and continue beating for 2 minutes. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag and pipe out desired shapes, or spoon the mixture onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and smooth out into discs, or build on to make a pavlova sheet. Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes then turn the oven off and allow the meringues to cool completely in the oven, undisturbed. Makes about 20 meringues.
• The utensils you are using must be spotlessly clean and very dry. Preferably use stainless steel and glass bowls.
• Make sure that you are not going to use your oven for anything else, as the meringues must cool undisturbed in the oven.
• Use very fresh eggs – this will make it easier to separate them.
• Separate the eggs in a different bowl to avoid any mistakes.
• For hard meringues the proportion of sugar and egg white is always 60ml for every egg white. For soft meringues it is 30ml sugar for every egg white.
• Meringues can be dipped into chocolate or a few drops of food colouring can be added to change their colour.