Let’s be honest, everyone loves chocolate. We’ve collected some of our favourite chocolate facts for you, some of these you probably didn’t even know about your favourite sweet treat.
“Chocolate is comfort without words.” Ursula Kohaupt.
- The smell of chocolate increases theta brain waves, which helps calm you down.
- White chocolate isn’t technically chocolate, as it contains no cocoa solids.
- The world’s largest chocolate bar weighed 5827kg.
- Eating dark chocolate every day reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Chocolate has over 600 flavour compounds, while red wine has just 200.
- Chocolate is bad for dogs and cats and can even kill them.
- Nutella was invented during World War 2 during a chocolate shortage. An Italian pastry, Pietro Ferrero, created a sweet paste made from hazelnuts, sugar and some of the rare cocoa.
- The Aztecs and the Mayans used chocolate as a currency.
- Most of the world’s chocolate is produced in Côte d’Ivoire.
- The chocolate chip cookie wasn’t invented by accident. The chocolate chip cookie was invented in the 1930s when Ruth Wakefield was the first to mix chocolate chunks into her cookie dough to create the chocolate chip cookie.
“True strength is when you can break a bar of chocolate into four pieces with your bare hands – then just eat one.” Unknown
Compiled by Imka Webb