Cheesecake is one of those things: It takes time and patience in the kitchen, but with great reward! This baked Labneh Cheesecake can be made three days ahead of time or frozen for up to a month!
- 1 kg plain yoghurt
- 400 g crunchie biscuits, broken
- into pieces
- 100 g butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 11⁄2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 pomegranate, rubies removed
- 250 g strawberries, halved
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
1. Spoon the yoghurt into a large muslin-lined sieve placed over a bowl. Tie, secure with a string and refrigerate for 24 hours.
2. Squeeze out any excess liquid and discard the liquid in the bowl. You will need 21⁄2 cups of labneh.
3. Line a 21 cm springform baking tin with baking paper.
4. Blend the biscuits until course crumbs form. Add the butter and blend until it comes together.
5. Press the biscuit mixture firmly into the base and up the sides of the baking tin. Place in the fridge to set.
6. Preheat the oven to 160oC.
7. Beat the labneh and sugar in a bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, until well combined. Mix in vanilla and cornflour. Pour mixture on to the biscuit base and gently tap to pop any air bubbles.
8. Bake for 50 minutes or until almost set (rotating it halfway through cooking), but slightly soft in the centre. Allow to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for 6 hours before serving.
9. Combine pomegranate rubies, strawberry and sugar in a bowl, cover and set aside in the fridge for 1 hour.
10. To serve, unmould the cheesecake and top with pomegranate rubies and strawberry halves.
ALSO SEE GRANADILLA MERINGUE CAKE RECIPE