Coconut pudim, also known as flan is a classic, delicious Brazilian dessert. This recipe is easy to make and perfect for any occasion.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 1 can of condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coconut shavings,
- to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 160 C. Melt the sugar in a heavy based pan over low heat. Cook until it turns golden brown, swirling the pan occasionally. Pour this caramel into a round baking dish, swirling it around to form an even layer on the base.
2. In a saucepan, warm the coconut cream and vanilla in a pot over a medium heat. Remove and set aside.
3. Whisk the eggs until light and fluffy. Add the condensed milk and stir until combined. Gradually pour in the warmed coconut cream while stirring. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve.
4. Pour the mixture over the caramel base in the baking dish and cover with foil. Transfer the baking dish to a roasting pan. Pour water into the pan until the level is halfway up the side of the baking dish.
5. Bake for 45–50 minutes. The centre should be set, but it should still have a wobble.
6. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the water bath until room temperature, then refrigerate to set for at least 4 hours.
7. To serve, flip upside down to unmould the flan onto a large serving plate and top with coconut shavings.
ALSO SEE CITRUS MALVA RECIPE