Fennel crusted pork tenderloin with a roasted strawberry sauce
Plus – stand a chance to win a romantic Valentines Day dinner for you and a loved one with Ernie Els wines! T&C’s and how to enter at the end of this post.
Nestled in the vineyards of Stellenbosch, Ernie Els presents its Platters awarded 4 star rated “2018 Big Easy blend”. With its flagship of flavours being spicy filled with fresh fruit, this blend has earned its nickname from its effortless demeanour.
The Big Easy blend is featured in a sophisticated and simple recipe that will have you feeling like you are dining at a 5 star restaurant. With a succulent pork filet lightly scented with fennel served with a truly magical roasted strawberry and Big Easy red blend sauce, this recipe will have you scraping the plate for more. This meal is perfectly cooked and accompanied by Ernie Els Big Easy red blend, a dark and brooding wine that features damp forest and meaty notes that are lifted by red and black fruits. The spice overlay of the wine truly complements the spices featured in the meal and finishes with a soft and silky feel.
View this post on Instagram
SERVES 2 / PREP TIME 15 min / COOK TIME 30 min
For the pork
2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Generous pinch salt
1 pork tenderloin filet
For the strawberry merlot sauce
2 ½ tbsp butter
1 cup hulled and quartered strawberries
1 shallot, finely diced
¾ cup Big Easy Red Blend
2 tsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. In a mortar and pestle , grind the fennel seeds, black pepper and salt together until ground. Rub mixture all over the pork until well coated.
- Heat oil in a pan. Once smoking, sear the pork on all sides until browned all over. Transfer to a baking tray.
- Heat 1 tbsp of butter in the same pan over a medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for 3 minutes. Add the strawberries and cook for 1-2 minutes. Transfer to the same roasting tray as the pork.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes. The thickest part of pork should register at 60ºC. Remove from the oven and set the pork aside and cover with foil to rest.
- Heat the same frying pan over a medium heat and add roasted strawberries and pan drippings. Deglaze the pan with Big Easy Red Blend and add sugar
- wine and cook until reduced by half. Add the remaining butter and remove the pan from the heat and swirl until it has emulsified into the sauce. Strain.
- Thickly slice the pork. Place onto a plate with the mash and drizzle over the strawberry merlot reduction. Garnish with micro herbs to finish.
WIN WIN WIN!
Disclaimer: Ts&Cs apply | Competition ends 11th February | Only for residents in Cape Town