Asian-style salmon crepes with rocket and ginger dip
- GINGER DIP
- 200g (1 cup) sugar
- 500ml (2 cups) water
- 50g fresh ginger, sliced
- 125ml (½ cup) sweet chilli sauce
- 125ml (½ cup) soy sauce
- pinch of salt
- 80ml (1/3 cup) white vinegar
- 120g (1 cup) cake flour
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 10g fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 350ml milk
- 10ml (2 tsp) oil, for frying
- 50g cream cheese
- 200g smoked salmon
- 100g cucumber, julienned
- 50g red pepper, seeded and julienned
- 50g green pepper, seeded and julienned
- 50g yellow pepper, seeded and julienned
- 20ml (4 tsp) fresh rocket
For the dip, place all the ingredients in a heavy-based saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat until the sugar has melted. Blend until smooth and set aside to cool.
For the crepes, sift the flour and salt into a bowl and mix in the egg and parsley. Slowly add the milk, mixing continuously until the batter is smooth and runny.
Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Pour in a ladle of batter and cook on a low heat, turning when the bottom of the crepe is slightly brown, about 1 minute. Cook the other side for about 30 seconds. Pile the cooked crepes on a plate and leave to cool.
Cut the crepes in half and spread cream cheese on one half. On the other half spread the salmon, cucumber, peppers and rocket. Sandwich the halves together and roll into cones.
Serve with the ginger dip.