Aubergine tempura with a sour cream, coriander and black garlic dipping sauce
- 100g cake flour, sifted
- 5ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 15ml (1 tbsp) cornflour
- 6 small egg whites
- 125ml (½ cup) water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 large aubergines, cut into
- 2cm-thick slices lengthways
- 10ml (2 tsp) Maldon sea salt
- oil, to deep-fry
- 250ml (1 cup) sour cream
- 1 black garlic clove, peeled and crushed (Available at select Checkers
- pinch cayenne pepper
- handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- microherbs, to garnish
1. In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and cornflour.
2. In a separate bowl, beat together the egg whites and water until
mixed through. Stir in the flour mixture until it becomes a smooth batter,
season and let it stand at room temperature, 10 minutes.
3. For the dipping sauce, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and
refrigerate until needed.
4. Season the aubergine slices with salt and let them stand in a colander
over a bowl to drain, 10 minutes. Pat the slices dry with paper towel.
Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or deep pot to 180°C, dip the aubergines, a
couple at a time, into the batter and fry until golden brown, 5 – 8
minutes. Serve warm garnished with microherbs and a side of dipping