Aubergine, tomato, lentil and mozzarella stack
- 150g ready-made pesto
- 100ml olive oil
- pine kernels, toasted
- 3 large aubergines, thickly sliced
- 3 large tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 2 mozzarella balls, sliced
- 1 x 410 tin lentils, drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sun-dried tomatoes
- 5ml (1 tsp) dried oregano
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh rosemary, chopped
- 60ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- Parmesan, grated, to serve
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
In a bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients and set aside until needed.
Place a slice of aubergine in the bottom of 6 round ring moulds. Top with a slice of tomato, then a slice of mozzarella and a spoonful of lentils. Repeat until these ingredients are finished, ending with a mozzarella layer.
Mix together the garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, oregano, rosemary and olive oil and pour over the stacks. Bake until cooked, about 30 minutes.
To serve, turn the stacks out onto plates, pour over the dressing and sprinkle with the Parmesan. Serve hot with crusty bread.
To drink: A full-bodied red like Rust en Vrede Cabernet Sauvignon 2007.