This hot and healthy vegetable soup will warm hearts this winter.
By Taryne Jakobi
Photograph by Vanessa Lewis
Baby root-vegetable soup with baked garlic toast
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1kg assorted baby root vegetables,
- washed and halved
- 1,5 litres vegetable stock
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh dill, chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- extra 5ml (1 tsp) fresh flatleaf parsley, for serving
- 1 garlic bulb
- 20ml (4 tsp) olive oil
- French loaf, sliced and toasted
Heat the olive oil in a large pot and sauté the onions, leeks, garlic and baby vegetables for about 5 minutes.
Add the stock, dill and parsley and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes, skimming frequently to remove surface scum.
To make garlic toast, drizzle the garlic bulb with the olive oil, wrap it in foil and roast until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Squeeze the soft roasted garlic out onto the toasted bread.
Pour the soup into serving bowls, sprinkle with parsley and serve with garlic toast.