Baked asparagus, bacon and spinach risotto
- 125g bacon, chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 leeks, sliced
- 250ml (1 cup) Arborio rice
- 120g fresh spinach, chopped
- 500ml (2 cups) chicken stock, hot
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 200g asparagus, blanched and sliced
- 100g Parmesan, freshly grated, plus extra for serving
- 150ml fresh cream
- 45ml (3 tbsp) crème fraîche
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
In a frying pan on the stove, fry the bacon in its own fat until it is cooked through and crispy. Remove and set aside until needed.
In the same pan, melt the butter and oil and sauté the garlic and leeks for a few minutes. Add the rice and stir well to combine with the leeks.
Transfer the rice mixture to a deep, ovenproof dish and stir in the spinach. Pour over the stock and season. Cover and bake for about 30 minutes.
Stir in the asparagus, Parmesan and bacon and continue to bake until the liquid is almost absorbed, about a further 10 minutes.
Mix the cream and crème fraîche together, pour gently over the risotto and stir to combine well. Bake for a further 5 minutes.
Serve hot with the extra Parmesan.