Baked rice pudding
- 100g (½ cup) arborio rice
- 1 litre milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) castor sugar
- 4 pieces lemon peel
- 30ml (2 tbsp) butter, chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) castor sugar, extra double-thick cream, to serve
Preheat the oven to 160ºC.
Place the rice in the base of a 1,75-litre-capacity shallow ovenproof dish.
Combine the milk, vanilla pod and seeds, sugar and lemon peel in a bowl. Pour this over the rice and stir to combine. Cover with foil and place on a baking tray.
Bake for 1 hour, remove the foil and stir.
Bake uncovered for a further 30 minutes.
Top with the butter, sprinkle with the extra sugar and bake until the top is golden, about 10 – 15 minutes.
Serve with the cream.