Basic rustic tomato sauce
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- a handful of fresh basil leaves
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh oregano leaves
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3 x 410g tins whole peeled tomatoes
- 5ml (1 tsp) sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add the onion and garlic and fry until slightly golden, about 3 – 4 minutes. Add the basil, oregano, rosemary, tomatoes and sugar. Mash the tomatoes slightly with a fork.
Season well and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce has reduced and the flavours have concentrated, about 25 minutes. Adjust the seasoning.
For those who prefer a sauce with a bit of a bite, add 5ml (1 tsp) dried chilli flakes to the sauce during the cooking process.