Somen noodles, made from wheat flour, can be found at most supermarkets, or replace them with egg or soba noodles.
Beef and chilli noodle soup
- 1,5 litres good-quality beef or chicken stock
- 1 red chilli, seeded and thinly sliced
- 5ml (1 tsp) brown sugar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) soy sauce
- 200g shiitake, oyster or button mushrooms
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sesame oil
- 300g rump steak, cut into thin strips
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 50g mangetout, thinly sliced
- 100g somen noodles
- 30ml (2 tbsp) sesame seeds, toasted
Place the stock, chilli, sugar and soy sauce in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil. Add the mushrooms, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the sesame oil in a large frying pan. Fry the beef strips until just cooked.
Divide the beef strips between four serving bowls. Top with spring onions and mangetout.
Add the noodles to the soup and cook until soft, about 2 – 3 minutes.
Spoon hot soup over the beef strips, spring onions and mangetout. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.