To drink: A cousin of the Italian grape Primitivo, Zinfandel is a great match with Italian flavours, and its berry and spice flavours stand up well to anchovies. Try Blauuwklippen Red Zinfandel, SA’s best example.
Bistecca Fiorentina (T-bone with anchovy butter)
- 180g unsalted butter, softened
- 4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) capers, rinsed and finely chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh chives, snipped, plus extra for garnish
- 45ml (3 tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 10ml (2 tsp) onion, grated
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 x 450g T-bone steaks
- olive/avocado oil, for brushing
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the anchovy butter, mix all the ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Refrigerate until firm enough to handle and roll into a log shape on a piece of plastic wrap. Roll the butter up in the plastic, twist the ends to compact the log and refrigerate until needed.
Brush the steaks with a little oil and season. Preheat a griddle pan to hot and cook the steaks on both sides until done to your preference. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
Spread the anchovy butter on the warm steaks and serve sprinkled with the extra chives, with trimmings of your choice.