Quick, healthy and delicious! This broad bean, bulgur wheat and peach salad with a poached egg and mustard and yoghurt dressing is a delicious lunch or a nutritious dinner.
Broad bean, bulgur wheat and peach salad with a poached egg and mustard and yoghurt dressing
- 30ml (2 tbsp) wholegrain mustard
- 15ml (1 tbsp) honey
- 45ml (3 tbsp) white wine vinegar
- zest of ½ lemon
- 210g (¾ cup) Greek yoghurt
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 285g (1½ cups) bulgur wheat
- 750ml (3 cups) chicken/vegetable stock, warm
- 350g broad beans, shelled
- ½ red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 fresh peaches, sliced into thin wedges
- 125ml (½ cup) white wine vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 100g watercress
- 60ml (¼ cup) onion sprouts
For the dressing, stir all of the ingredients together and season.
For the salad, place the bulgur wheat in a bowl and pour over the warm stock. Cover with plastic wrap and leave to stand for 10 – 15 minutes.
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the beans for 4 – 5 minutes and refresh in cold water. Remove the skins and toss the beans together with the red onion and peach wedges. Stir in the bulgur wheat.
Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the white wine vinegar (this will make poaching the egg easier). When the water starts to simmer, stir it gently with a spoon to form a whirlpool. Let it stand for 15 seconds, break open a fresh egg and gently pour the egg into the water. Poach for 3 – 4 minutes or longer if you prefer less runny yolks. When cooked, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Repeat with remaining eggs.
Divide the watercress between 4 plates, add a spoonful or 2 of the bulgur wheat mixture and top with a poached egg. Drizzle with dressing and scatter onion sprouts on top.
The dressing can be made in advance and kept in the fridge for up to a week. If you can’t find peaches, replace with fresh plums.