Brown rice, pearl barley and apples make this a deliciously crunchy, low-GI salad. The hummus used in the dressing also lowers the GI value of the dish.
Brown rice and barley salad
- 60ml (¼ cup) hummus
- 60ml (¼ cup) Bulgarian yoghurt
- a few fresh coriander leaves juice of 1 lemon
- 5ml (1 tsp) honey salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 200g (1 cup) brown rice
- 180g pearl barley 1 red onion, cubed
- 2 Granny Smith apples, 1 cubed and 1 thinly sliced
- 1 stick of celery, thinly sliced
- a handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped a handful of rocket
- 100g soft goat’s cheese, broken into pieces
For the dressing, combine all the ingredients and set aside.
Cook the rice and pearl barley according to the instructions on the packet in a large saucepan of salted boiling water. Drain.
Combine the rice, pearl barley, onion, cubed apple, celery and parsley in a big salad bowl. Toss the rocket leaves through and scatter the goat’s cheese on top. Add the sliced apple, drizzle with the dressing and serve
To drink: Go for Cape Point Vineyards Semillon: it’s a rare gem but worth the effort of tracking down.