3 balls mozzarella
250g roasted mixed cherry tomatoes
green olives, pitted
100g pickled elderflower
Maldon salt, to taste
good quality olive oil
fresh basil leaves, to garnish
300ml tomato consommé
- Tear the mozzarella and separate into half a ball per person. Arrange the mozzarella on the plate with the roasted cherry tomatoes, green olives and pickled elderflowers.
- Sprinkle with a little salt, drizzle with olive oil and garnish with basil.
- Just before serving pour the consommé over.
Buffalo Ridge mozzarella salad
- PICKLED ELDERFLOWER
- 100ml water
- 100g (½ cup) sugar
- 100ml white wine vinegar
- 500g elderflower flowers
- 1 Put the water, sugar and vinegar in
- a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 2 When the sugar dissolves, remove
- from the heat, pour the liquid over the
- elderflowers and set aside to chill for
- at least 24 hours.
- TOMATO CONSOMMÉ
- 1L (4 cups) water
- 250ml (1 cup) basic tomato sauce
- 250g fresh ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 6 large basil leaves
- 3 egg whites
- 5ml (1 tsp) sugar
- 2 fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded
- and diced, to serve
- basil leaves, to serve
Stir the water into the tomato sauce.
Blitz the tomatoes and basil leaves in a food processor. Add the egg whites and sugar, and blitz again until all the ingredients are well mixed. Pour the mixture into the sauce and water.
Place the whole mixture into a large pan and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Simmer gently until the egg whites form a crust on the surface, about 15 minutes.
Line a sieve with a piece of clean, unused muslin or a tea towel that has been washed in plain water. Gently ladle the crust into the sieve and then slowly ladle the liquid over the crust. Allow time for the liquid to pass through the crust and sieve before adding more. Do not force the sauce through.
Return the clear liquid to the pan and reheat to hot, not boiling. This soup is best served warm to hot (not boiling) as it intensifies the flavour.
If not serving immediately, cool the soup and refrigerate until required.
To serve, pour the chilled soup over the mozzarella and tomato salad.