TO DRINK: This Italian-style snack needs a dry Italian-style red, like Monterosso Sangiovese
Butter bean, sun-dried cherry tomato and ciabatta toast
- 50g tomaraisins (sun-dried cherry tomatoes)
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 x 410g tin butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200ml tomato passata
- 100ml dry white wine, optional
- 5ml (1 tsp) brown sugar, optional
- sliced ciabatta, toasted
- lemon wedges, to serve
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Soak the tomaraisins in boiling water until soft, about 15 – 20 minutes. Squeeze out the water and set aside.
Heat the oil in a pan and add the tomaraisins, beans, garlic, tomato passata and wine. Cook over medium heat until heated through and slightly reduced, about 10 – 20 minutes. Add the sugar, or more, to taste, depending on the acidity of the tomatoes.
Serve on the ciabatta together with the lemon wedges and black pepper.