Indulge in the irresistible sweetness of homemade butter icing with this effortless recipe. In just a few simple steps, you’ll create a velvety smooth and lusciously creamy topping that perfectly complements any cake or cupcake. Let’s get baking!
- 500g unsalted butter, softened
- 1kg icing sugar, sifted
Beat the butter until soft. Gradually add the icing sugar. Add a little warm water if the icing is too thick.
Spread a thin layer of icing around the sides and on top of each cake and leave to set in the fridge until fir
A few basic guidelines:
To ice with plastic icing:
- Brush the cakes with water.
- Roll out the plastic icing (+-5kg for all layers) until about 5mm thick and cover each cake with the icing.
- Trim the excess icing neatly away at the base of each cake and leave to set overnight before supporting and stacking.
To support the cake:
- Use foil-covered dowel sticks or PVC piping (the same height as the cakes) as supports. Insert into the 30cm and 22cm cakes only.
- The cakes are now ready to be stacked on top of one another: 30cm at base, 22cm in the middle and 15cm cake on top.
ALSO SEE: Celebratory Cherry-on-top cupcakes
Feature image: Unsplash