This is a traditional Caprese salad with a twist – served on puff pastry.
- 1 x 400g packet puff pastry
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 80ml (1/3cup) pesto
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 mozzarella balls, thinly sliced
- 60ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 45ml (3 tbsp) Parmesan, freshly grated
- fresh basil leaves, to serve
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Roll out the pastry and place it on a baking tray. Brush with the egg and bake until crispy, puffed and golden, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
Spread the pesto on the pastry and top with alternating slices of tomato and mozzarella.
Drizzle with the oil, season, and serve sprinkled with the Parmesan and basil.