Cheddar and chive shortbread with creamed feta and piquanté peppers
- 180g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g cake flour, sifted
- salt and cayenne pepper, to taste
- 4 large egg yolks
- 500ml (2 cups) cheddar cheese, grated
- 30ml (2 tbsp) chives, finely chopped
- CREAMED FETA
- 200g feta
- 6 piquanté peppers, finely chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sweet chilli sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped, optional
- watercress, to serve
For the shortbread, preheat the oven to 180°C.
Beat the butter, flour, salt and pepper together with a wooden spoon. Add the egg yolks and mix until it just comes together to form a soft dough. Mix in the cheese and chives.
Lightly grease a loose-bottom cake tin or ovenproof dish. Spread the mixture onto the base of the dish to form a disc about 2cm thick. Bake until golden brown and slightly crisp, about 20 – 25 minutes.
Cut into portions or wedges while it is still warm as it will harden once cooled. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the baking tray then transfer to a cooling rack. Store it in an airtight container.
For the creamed feta, place the feta in a food processor and blend until crumbly. Add the piquanté peppers and chilli sauce and blend until smooth. Season and stir in the parsley.
Serve the shortbread topped with watercress and creamed feta on the side.
As the shortbread bakes, some of the butter may bubble to the top. Simply dab it with paper towel when you remove it from the oven to remove the butter on the surface.