Lentils are packed with soluble fibre, which lowers the GI value of this soup. Yoghurt is also a good low-GI choice for soups and salads.
TO DRINK: Monis Full Cream Sherry will bring warmth and add a spicy feel to the soup.
Chicken and lentil soup
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large red chilli, seeded and
- finely chopped
- 2 chicken breast fillets, cut into 1cm strips
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground turmeric
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 x 410g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 410g tins brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1,25 litres chicken stock salt and freshly ground black p
- epper, to taste juice of 1 lime
- 45ml (3 tbsp) plain yoghurt
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Cook the onion, garlic and chilli until soft, about 4 – 5 minutes.
Add the chicken a nd sauté until lightly browned. Add the turmeric, cumin and bay leaves and cook for 1 minute.
Add the tomatoes, lentils and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 – 7 minutes. Season, stir through the lime juice and serve warm with yoghurt on the side.