Marinating meat in yoghurt is a great way to tenderise the chicken for the Chicken tikka kebabs.
Recipe by Leila Saffarian
Photography by Dylan Swart
Chicken tikka kebabs
- 10 chicken thighs, skinless and deboned, cut into cubes
- 375ml (1½ cups) natural yoghurt
- 15ml (1 tbsp) garam masala
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground cumin
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground coriander
- 10ml (2 tsp) chilli powder (halve the amount if you prefer less heat)
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cardamom
- 5ml (1 tsp) turmeric
- juice of ½ lemon
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive or avocado oil + extra, for grilling
- Maldon Sea Salt and freshly ground
- black pepper, to taste
- wooden skewers, soaked in water
- cucumber, chopped
- red cabbage, shredded
- pita breads, grilled and sliced
- natural yoghurt
Combine the chicken, yoghurt, garam masala, cumin, coriander, chilli powder, cardamom, turmeric, lemon juice, oil and seasoning in a bowl. Mix well, cover with plastic wrap and marinate for 1 hour.
Thread the chicken pieces onto the skewers and grill on a hot griddle pan until slightly charred and cooked through, 5 – 6 minutes on each side.
Serve with plenty of cucumber, red cabbage, pita bread and yoghurt.
When heating pitas in the oven, scrunch a large piece of wax paper into a ball and hold it under running water; squeeze out the excess water, smooth out the paper and place the pita in the middle. Wrap up the pita and place in the oven. This creates steam and prevents the pitas from drying out.