TO DRINK: Kleinood Viognier 2007’s nutty character will match this dish’s sweet and savoury flavours.
Chicken with green olives, almonds and oregano
- 200g blanched almonds, roughly chopped
- 200g green olives, pitted
- 500ml (2 cups) fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 large bunch oregano, leaves finely chopped and stalks discarded
- 45ml (3 tbsp) green chilli paste
- 200ml olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100ml lemon juice
- 45ml (3 tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 8 chicken thighs
- 6 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 red onions, finely sliced into rings
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 250ml (1 cup) white wine
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Combine the almonds, olives, parsley, oregano and chilli paste in a large bowl. Drizzle with a little of the olive oil, stir to combine and season.
In a separate bowl, combine the red chillies, garlic, lemon juice and mustard. Season. Coat the chicken thighs in the mixture and leave to marinate, for about 10 minutes.
Heat the remaining olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan over a high heat. Add the chicken and brown all over. Add the chicken to the almond marinade.
Place the potatoes and onions in an ovenproof dish and top with the chicken pieces. Pour over the remaining marinade along with the water and wine. Bake until the chicken is golden and cooked, about 30 – 45 minutes.