Chickpea dumplings in tomato curry with fresh basil
- Olive oil, to fry
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 x 80g sachet Thai red curry paste
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 15ml (1 tbsp) cake flour
- 30ml (2 tbsp) chickpea flour
- Fresh basil leaves, to garnish
- Lemon wedges, to serve
For the curry sauce, heat a glug of olive oil in a medium pot over low heat and fry the onion and garlic until soft and translucent, 10 minutes. Add the red curry paste and fry over medium heat, 2 minutes. Add the tinned tomatoes and bring the sauce to a simmer, 15 minutes. Add the lemon juice and season to taste.
While the sauce simmers, add all of the dumpling ingredients to a blender and blitz to a smooth paste. Form the paste into 3cm balls. Heat a few glugs of olive oil in a pan over medium heat, and fry the balls until golden on the outside.
Add the balls to the curry sauce and simmer, 3 minutes. Serve the curry warm, garnished with basil and lemon wedges for squeezing.