Chickpeas, lentils and bean soup
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground turmeric
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground paprika
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g tin butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g red lentils, rinsed
- 1,2L chicken stock, hot
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 400g baby spinach, shredded
- 60ml (¼ cup) fresh mint, chopped, to serve
Heat the oil in a large pot and add the onion, garlic and spices, and cook, stirring, for a few seconds.
Stir in the chickpeas, butter beans, lentils, stock, lemon zest and juice, and simmer until the lentils are cooked.
Stir in the spinach and continue to simmer, 2 – 3 minutes.
Serve hot sprinkled with fresh mint.