A clear tomato soup loaded with flavour – perfect as a refreshing starter on a hot summer’s day
Chilled tomato consommé with mozzarella and basil
- 1,8kg ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 15ml (1 tbsp) salt
- 6 red cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 6 yellow cherry tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- micro herbs, to serve
For the soup, place a large piece of muslin cloth in a strainer over a big glass bowl. Blend the tomatoes and salt in a food processor to a fine purée. Pour the tomato purée into the muslin cloth and refrigerate overnight to strain all the juices from the purée.
For the salsa, combine tomatoes, onion and avocado in a small bowl and season to taste.
Remove the tomato pulp and discard. Season the clear tomato soup with salt and pepper. Pour the soup into serving glasses and top with the tomato salsa and micro leaves. Serve chilled.
This low-fat soup is packed with vitamin C and the antioxidant lycopene.