TO DRINK: A very fruity (or off-dry) bubbly is a good match with spicy food 250g red split peas
Chilli cakes (gateaux piments)
- 1 green chilli, seeded and chopped
- a small handful of fresh coriander,
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) whole cumin seeds
- sea salt and freshly ground black
- pepper, to taste
- vegetable oil, for frying
Wash the split peas under running water until the water runs clear and soak for at least 5 hours or overnight.
Drain the peas and place in a food processor. Pulse until fairly smooth but still slightly chunky.
Add the chilli, coriander, spring onion and cumin seeds, and season.
Blitz to incorporate all of the ingredients – if the mixture looks too dry, add 15 – 30ml (1 – 2 tbsp of water).
Heat the oil over medium-high heat, shape the mixture into balls and fry in batches until golden and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on paper towel and serve warm.