A filling and tasty salad that’s great on its own for a light lunch or served as a side dish to meat, chicken or fish
Chunky tomato, chickpea and aubergine salad
- 60ml (¼ cup) olive or avocado oil + 15ml (1 tbsp) extra
- 250g (1 medium) aubergine, diced
- 5ml (1 tsp) crushed garlic
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 500ml (2 cups) mixed cocktail tomatoes, halved
- ½ tin chickpeas, drained
- ½ avocado, diced
- 1 disc of feta, diced
- 10 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) red wine vinegar
Heat the 60ml (¼ cup) olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the aubergine and garlic and cook until golden and tender, about 5 – 8 minutes. Season and set aside to cool completely.
Combine the cooled aubergine with the tomatoes, chickpeas, avocado, feta, basil and parsley, and season. 3 Drizzle the vinegar and extra olive oil on top and toss to combine.
Add smoked chicken or chorizo for a meaty alternative.