For those who prefer to eat gluten-free, you are welcome to use quinoa flakes, gluten-free oats or a combo of chia seeds and flaxseed instead of the oats.
Cinnamon, cardamom & orange zest bircher muesli
- 100 g organic or gluten-free oats
- 250 ml milk of choice or filtered water
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 70 g raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- 1 small pear, grated
- 2 tablespoons Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus extra to serve (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- maple syrup or raw honey, fresh full-fat ricotta,
- blueberries or dates, to serve
Soak the oats in the water or milk overnight. Make sure they are completely covered.
In a bowl, combine the oats with the orange zest, juice, almonds, coconut, pear, yoghurt, cinnamon and cardamom – the texture should be thick but smooth.
To serve, drizzle with maple syrup or honey and top with ricotta, blueberries or torn fresh dates. Sprinkle with a little extra cinnamon, if desired.
Living the Healthy Life by Jessica Sepel is out Thursday (6th April), published by Bluebird, £16.99. Images by Rob Palmer.