Citrus-braised fennel with Parma ham and cashews
- 60ml (¼ cup) butter
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive/avocado oil
- 3 large fennel bulbs, quartered,
- some stalk left on
- 500ml (2 cups) orange juice
- 250ml (1 cup) vegetable stock
- zest of 1 lemon
- 125ml (½ cup) white wine
- 125ml (½ cup) fresh cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 120g Parma ham, thinly sliced
- 125ml (½ cup) cashew nuts, roasted
For the fennel, preheat the oven to 200°C.
Heat the butter and oil in a large, ovenproof pan and fry the fennel until golden. Add the remaining ingredients, simmer for 5 minutes on the stove then transfer to the oven and roast until tender, about 30 minutes. Season and set aside.
Heat the oven grill. Place the ham on a baking tray and grill until crisp, then chop roughly.
To serve, scatter the grilled ham and toasted cashews over the braised fennel. Serve as a side dish (it is particularly good served with chicken and rice).