Although Italian purists would argue that you should never, ever add cream to an authentic Alfredo sauce – it should simply be the silky result of an emulsion of grated cheese, melted butter and starchy pasta water – we’ve bent this rule here, with deliciously indulgent results.
Hungry for more? View more of our delicious pasta recipes and how to’s here.
Recipe and styling by Claire Ferrandi
Photograph by Dylan Swart
Creamy Alfredo-style pasta
- 250g store-bought fresh fettuccine
- 50g butter
- 250ml (1 cup) thick/double thick cream
- 250ml (1 cup) fresh cream
- 3 eggs yolks, lightly beaten
- 100g Parmesan, finely grated + extra, to serve
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Bring a large pot salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to packaging instructions.
In a large frying pan, place the butter and the creams. Bring to a boil and simmer, 1 minute, before removing from heat. Add the egg yolks to the hot cream and whisk into the sauce, then stir in the Parmesan. Add the drained and cooked pasta to the sauce, toss to combine and season to taste. Serve immediately with an extra grating Parmesan.