Creamy celery soup with white beans and pancetta
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 50g butter
- 1 large bulb of celery, approx 8 stalks, washed and finely sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g block pancetta, cubed
- 1 x 410g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme, plus extra to serve
- 1L (4 cups) good quality chicken stock
- 500ml (2 cups) fresh cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat the oil and butter in a large stock pot over medium heat and sauté the celery and onion, about 5 – 8 minutes.
Add the garlic and pancetta and fry for a further minute.
Add the beans, thyme and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the cream, season and heat through.
Serve in warm bowls with plenty of crusty bread and garnish with fresh thyme.