TO DRINK: An unwooded Chardonnay has citrus flavours for an ideal match
Crunchy apple and fennel salad with pickled trout
- PICKLED TROUT
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh ginger, grated
- 45ml (3 tbsp) pickled ginger, finely chopped
- 125ml (½ cup) pickled ginger liquid
- 30ml (2 tbsp) lime juice
- a handful of mint, chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sesame oil
- 3 x 300g whole fillets of lightly smoked trout, skinned
- zest and juice of 3 oranges
- zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 10ml (2 tsp) olive or avocado oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 baby fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- 3 green apples, thinly sliced
- 2 red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- a handful of fresh or dried coconut shavings
- 45ml (3 tbsp) black sesame seeds
- a handful of watercress, to serve
For the trout, combine the ginger, pickled ginger, pickled ginger liquid, lime juice, mint and sesame oil in a small bowl.
Drizzle over the trout fillets and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 1 hour.
For the dressing, combine the orange and lemon zest and juice, oil and garlic. Season.
Pour the dressing over the fennel, apple and red onion slices. Sprinkle with coconut shavings and sesame seeds.
Thinly slice the trout and serve on a bed of fennel salad with a handful of watercress.