To drink: Go for Thelema Sutherland Sauvignon Blanc 2008, a complex wine with a hint of cucumber and tomato leaf in its character.
Cucumber and avocado soup with chilli and tomato salsa
- 2½ cucumbers, peeled
- 300ml thick Greek yoghurt
- 2 avocados, peeled
- 80ml (1/3 cup) crème fraîche
- 400ml chicken stock
- 2 – 3 drops Tabasco
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh mint, chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh chives, chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh dill, chopped
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 100g Roma tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cucumber, seeded and chopped
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 50ml parsley, finely chopped
For the soup, halve 2 of the cucumbers and scrape out the seeds. Chop the flesh and place it with the remaining ingredients, except the pepper, in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Chill until needed.
Use a peeler to slice the remaining cucumber into thin strips. Place a pile of cucumber strips in the middle of 4 soup bowls and spoon the soup around it. Season with pepper.
For the salsa, combine all the ingredients. Spoon it onto the soup and serve.