Buttermilk Blueberry Pancakes Recipe
These delicious little buttermilk blueberry pancakes are as light as a feather and the blueberries make them nice and fruity.
PREP TIME 10 minutes | COOKING TIME 20 minutes | TOTAL TIME 30 minutes | SERVES 12
- 3 large, free-range eggs, separated
- 2 x 284ml pots buttermilk
- 60g butter, melted, plus extra for frying
- 300g plain flour
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 150g blueberries, plus extra to serve
- Maple syrup and streaky bacon, to serve
- Beat the egg yolks, add the buttermilk then the melted butter. Sift in the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda then mix well – a balloon whisk does the job perfectly. It’s at this point you can leave the mixture in the fridge overnight, but you must cover the surface with clingfilm and make it airtight or it will discolour. Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, then fold into the batter.
- Heat a little butter in a non-stick pan then add a small ladleful of the batter. Scatter a few blueberries on to the top, then cook for a few minutes – you’ll see the pancake browning around the edges – before flipping with a fish slice and cooking the other side.
- Place on to a warm plate (you can keep the pancakes in a low oven for up to 20 minutes) and cook the rest. Serve with blueberries, maple syrup and crispy bacon.
Made this recipe? Tag us @foodandhomesa #CookingWithFH on Instagram!
ALSO SEE: Gluten-free and sugar-free pancakes