Creamy potato and spinach chowder
- 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 2 baby leeks, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 litre good-quality vegetable stock or water
- 5ml (1 tsp) dried thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 375ml (1,5 cups) fresh cream
- 50g baby spinach, chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh tarragon, chopped
In a large saucepan, heat the oil and sauté the leeks, celery, onion and garlic over medium heat until soft, about 5 – 8 minutes.
Stir in the potatoes, stock and thyme and season. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, about 20 – 30 minutes.
Add the cream, spinach and herbs and return to a light simmer, stirring occasionally. Do not allow to boil.
To thicken the soup, either mash the potatoes against the side of the pan with the back of a spoon, or purée in batches in a blender. Serve warm with croutons.